Search This Blog

Sunday, 24 August 2014

On some heroes

Sailor Moon got me thinking. 


There's a very specific kind of superhero story I'm drawn to and the pattern followed is about the same: teenager finds out they are special and they build on newly discovered superpowers to save the world. This is true for Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura, Inu Yasha and even Harry Potter. I'm tempted to say this might be true for mutants (X-men) but I fear they only said mutant powers manifested around puberty to make the parallel between being mutant and being gay for that particular film. 

The point I wanted to make is that this seems to be aimed at young adults and teenagers. While the animé/manga component can be explained by how cute it is to dress girls in all of these outfits or how obsessed pop culture is with the school uniform, I want to look more into it. Older audiences can't relate to wishing they had different cares and have likely enough given up on thoughts of being special because they're already caught up in the real world of grown ups, with taxes, bills, bosses and all sorts of boring responsibilities. 

Virtually no one could handle a 9-5 job and fighting evil forces trying to take over the universe. It's just too much. Lose the job for oversleeping and you're guaranteed never to eat again. Fail to keep up with the bigger cause and you won't have a home to come home to. Not only does it not work, it's unrealistic and when you're a certain age you're painfully aware of just how unrealistic it really is. 

What bothers me most, I suppose, is that I can't shake the feeling that I've missed out because if I didn't find I was one of the chosen ones when I was in my teens then I'm certainly too late now, meaning I must be an inconsequential filler character in someone else's big story. If they were going to send me an invitation to a school of Witchcraft and Wizardry, they would have done so years ago, hence I must be just another muggle. How unexciting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment