Search This Blog

Wednesday, 19 March 2014

Gender bending awesomeness

That was the most fun I've had in ages!!!

I had a test today at 5:15. Instead of ending at 8, I was done around 6:30. Since tango practice wouldn't start until 8:15, I figured I'd find a place to sit and wait. Except the place I chose to sit and wait advertised a drag show starting at 7:30 and I was not going to pass that opportunity. I figured that if it ended early enough I could still try to do tango afterwards but it wasn't over until after 10 (and I left at 10:20, before it was over). It was my first drag show, I must say, and I loved it.

I felt a bit awkward at first, I won't lie. I didn't know anyone, I sat alone, several seats away from the nearest people, I didn't know what to do with myself while the show (which started a good 20min late) started... I didn't even know what to expect, other than people dressed in unusual clothes. Well, let me tell you: they had four amateurs (not really drag anything, but they tried and I'll give at least two and a  half of them credit for trying properly) and two professionals, a drag king and a drag queen. Oh, and two burlesque performers. Those last two had a thing or two to learn from Dita Von Teese, though, so I won't be bringing them up. The drag queen is a love but a bit of a newbie, and you could tell because of the way she wore her wigs a bit too far down her forehead. And how she lost track of her shoe after tossing it. And how "on a dime" her wigs and outfits looked. It didn't matter. It doesn't matter. I loved her and I told her as much before I left, taking advantage of the fact that she was sitting a couple of seats to my left at that point. Share the love, right?

The drag king? He was the star of the show. I loved him. Loved him. Made me realise more than I ever had. I don't know if it's gone down in words earlier but, until today, I never ruled out falling for a girl, I just thought it was unlikely. Today, I'll say this much: I would absolutely fall for a tomboyish/butch girl, I could fall for a trans man and I can definitely fall for a drag king. He was charming. And quite sexy, I'll add. Just like I'm attracted to Raven, I'm attracted to him. Open up the dating pool!* Sorry, lousy joke. He was seriously amazing, though. What a way to be introduced to the drag (real) world. 

Oh, as for the performances? I'll just leave you a few of the songs to my favourites. 


At this point, I should point out, people in the audience just got up and started doing the time warp. I didn't actually join them (though I'll say I was tempted to, and if I had to do it again I would have), but I'll say I actually wooted, which I don't think I ever have before. What did I woot at?

Now, I hate the lyrics of this song and everything they stand for. But the drag king did his first performance to this, and I have a bit of a crush on him. So I don't care. The drag queen also danced to this song. It was also her first performance, if I'm not mistaken, but my favourite by her was

(Sorry that's the live performance, I can't be bothered to find an official version that's not this one.) During this song the drag queen had so much fun interacting with the audience, it was a blast. 

Lastly, I talked to the girl organising the event and asked how I could get involved. I may be attending a meeting tomorrow to meet more of the people doing this. It should be interesting, albeit a bit nerve-wrecking.

The person I want to talk to the most, though, is SmTn. He answered my message of Billy Joel with a smile and this:

I'm deliberately choosing not to overthink it here because I already have. And I'm too happy from the drag show to worry about such things right now. So there.


* I suppose there are people such as will be a bit surprised, to say the least, by how offhandedly I made that admission. The truth is that if I'm attracted to something other than a cis-gendered male (as has been the case up until now, for the most part) I will just take it as something more to like and not as something to raise questions about my sexuality or identity. I'm open minded like that. To me, it's not unlike trying sushi for the first time and deciding I like it. I may like it better than other things, I may only like it as much as other foods. Either way, it brings more choices when the time comes to choose something to eat and that's always a good thing in my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment