Search This Blog

Saturday, 30 November 2013

Villains

I've written before about my fascination with villains. I sometimes root for them. Since I was little I found myself liking their songs more than the others'. Well, it's a coincidence, I'm sure, but EBF made an invitation to the debate of which is the best Disney villain's song of all. He suggested "Hellfire," from The Hunchback of Notre Dame.



Go figure. It would not have been the first song to come to mind, but that's mostly because I don't often think of Victor Hugo's work as something Disney would do. And yet they adapted Notre-Dame de Paris. Though the thought of LesMisGuy bothers me (I can't help but remember that it was him who first told me how Disneyfied this particular film is)I moved past it (sort of) and thought I'd maybe challenge EBF's choice. After considering "Be Prepared" (from The Lion King), "Gaston" and "The Mob Song" (from The Beauty and the Beast, obviously) and "Oogie Boogie Song" (from A Nightmare Before Christmas) I must say I agree with EBF's choice. It's not that the music on its own is better, it's rather that Frollo is a better villain than the others. And that's equal parts because of Victor Hugo's design of the character and in spite of Disney's adaptation.

I very much wish I'd gotten around to reading Les Misérables so I could promise myself I'll read Notre-Dame de Paris next. Barring that, I'd very much like to have someone to have this conversation with. The conversation about what makes a great villain great, never mind whether it's been adapted by Disney or not. I'm too much of a coward to venture a word to EBF and I've lost SmTn, though, so it's all I can do to write a blog post about it.

You're not wondering but I'm going to tell you anyway. The songs I remember from my childhood, that I went back to because I know I liked them so much I played one of them over and over again on a cassette (a cassette!) and waited for the other two eagerly in films that wasn't played very often are, respectively, "Be Prepared," "Money is Such a Beautiful Word," and "I'm looking out for me."

No comments:

Post a Comment