Search This Blog

Wednesday, 18 September 2013

Still not fucking studying

I had two counselling sessions today. One where they were supposed to help me get a job when I get the degree, the other was the therapy one. Would you believe it: though the secretary got down my phone number, my student ID number and my e-mail address, the woman who was supposed to see me could not reach me and, since she thought (from the description left by the secretary) that my needs did not meed the purposes of the office she works in she decided to just write someone else in for my scheduled appointment and write to say she was sorry she couldn't contact me earlier. Can that woman be serious? She even knew what my appointment was for! What could she possibly mean "she couldn't reach me"? Of course she could! She had my name, she had my ID number, she had my programme my e-mail and my actual mail address! And all they say when I get there is "We're so sorry. We have someone new working here and the appointment was probably not saved correctly. Someone else has been scheduled for your time. Thank you for being so understanding." Her e-mail saying she actually was aware of the fact that I was supposed to have an appointment with her just makes things worse. 

Nevertheless.

I answered explaining how I do need her help, granted what I want is something she'd be able to help with (which of course it is, that's sort of what they're supposed to do over there).

*sigh*

That was followed by a mid morning cup of tea as I chatted for a little while with SmTn, waiting for it to be time for the therapy appointment. He left to get on the way home and a short while later I was on my way out of the office. A therapist called my name and introduced not only herself but her "apprentice." Some final year psychology student. Nowhere near ready to be a therapist just yet. It should be taught somewhere in the first classes: you're supposed to make eye-contact with the person you're talking to instead of looking at your board and reciting from memory/reading the protocol bits of the talk. You know, it was exactly like the preliminary appointment, except I know for a fact it could have been accomplished in half the time. Maybe even less, considering she already had quite a bit of information about me, did not really need to ask all the questions she asked (I'm talking about the protocol ones) because they had already been answered. Not impressed at all. And she'll be my therapist, not the other person. I know. Be understanding. She's new and that's precisely why she's practising now. She's supposed to treat me like a number and be as scientific as psychology allows. But I'm pretty sure she's not supposed to let it show. And step one in "not letting it show that I don't really care" is looking at the person you're talking to. In the eyes. Not at your board. 

We'll see if Thursday is any better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment