Search This Blog

Sunday, 17 February 2013

Men in masks

A sudden realisation has just struck me as I finished watching V for Vendetta. There's a common theme to many of the films I love and can watch over and over again: in case you missed the title up there, that would be "men in masks."

How so, you ask? Well, let's make a quick list:
 - The Beauty and the Beast
 - V for Vendetta
 - Howl's moving Castle
 - The Phantom of the Opera
 - Cyrano de Bergerac

I wish I could write a short essay on the subject, but the truth is that explaining how these men are wearing masks feels... wrong, somehow. Like I'd be explaining something obvious and covering it up with my words rather than helping show it.

[21st of April edit]
It's fair to say I have a new film I can watch over and over again: 3 idiots. I can't quite make my mind up about whether or not it belongs in the above list or not. Hm... wait... it does, in a way. Huh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment