Search This Blog

Monday, 21 March 2011

Just got back from Black Swan

When my sister got it into her head to go watch Black Swan I made sure to tell my parents I was in no mood to go. I didn't want to go with them, period. They just don't understand most of the things in anything that strays too far from the usual rom com or action film. And, you know what? Explaining film plots to the folks who think radioactivity can travel through the wind is just hopeless. (While radioactive particles can, indeed, travel through the wind, this is radiation we're talking about and it can travel through vacuum).

I didn't want to go and yet I found myself stuck going. To make things worse, on the way there they were pretty sure we were just going to some rom com, just because Natalie Portman is in it. I warned them and told them it was going to be a film unlike the kind they usually see, and not to let it get to them. Just to clear doubts, hoping they wouldn't ask so many questions, I even told them to deal with Nina being insane.

Now, what I actually thought about it: the story was brilliant, the music and the dancing were lovely, Natalie Portman is a goddess and there's only everything right in the film. I didn't like it. It made me uncomfortable, and it wasn't just down to the fact that I was with my parents and my sister watching it. Part of it, I'll admit, is the fact that I'm a prude and watching Nina touch herself, or being fingered by Thomas and Lily, while hot, made me uneasy. Another part of it is the blood. I'm not a blood person. If it's not like it is in most war scenes, where they try to dim out the images so it blood looks black and almost green/blue, it freaks me out and I ended up closing my eyes all too often. It's no way to sit through it. Reminds me of Trainspotting. Just like Black Swan, A said it's such a freaking great film, I had to watch it. I hated it. It told me nothing, it made me uneasy, I couldn't relate to it, it felt empty.

A loved Black Swan too, she'll want to talk about it and I don't even feel like telling her I didn't like it because she'll try to convince me it's good, which I know it is. Doesn't matter: I didn't like it. I don't want to argue with her. Just like when I told her I don't want to watch The Social Network. The idea, quite frankly, seems stupid. I don't want to watch something about the beginning of facebook. It holds no interest for me. I can't relate to it. I don't care how they embellished the story, or how much money went into getting the right actors, music, scenes. I'd hate it and I can't believe people who say it's actually supposed to be good, or enjoyable. Not that they're the same, though.

I don't like things based on them being good or bad. Goes for people, goes for music, goes for films, goes for food. Most people take pride in liking what everyone else likes, what's supposed to go down as "good". I don't mind if I do, any more than I do if I don't. I'm allowed to an opinion and I don't even have to justify it. I ask no one to feel the way I do. I'm too sleepy to go on writing now. And I have homework to do. And an exam to study for. And I feel like an idiot for mistaking 1984 and Brave New World. That's it, for now, good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment